A couple weeks ago I had the pleasure of guest posting on the Boston Day Book, run by lovely friend Natalie. When Natalie approached me about making a breakfast bowl, I knew I wanted to make something hearty, healthy and delicious like a warming bowl of porridge. The key to this recipe though, is an ingredient that no many people know about: amaranth. This porridge is perfect for the cooler months and is filled apples, dates, carrots and beautiful warming spices like cinnamon and cardamom.
What Is Amaranth?
Amaranth is a grain that is very similar in texture to quinoa. It is an awesome alternative to oats or quinoa because it’s full of protein, fiber, magnesium, manganese and iron. Just one cooked cup has 9 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber – which translates to keeping you full for longer. Plus, I love this grain because it’s much cheaper than quinoa and just as delicious.
Here is a picture of me in Israel with the amaranth plant – isn’t the flower so beautiful?
The Last Breakfast Bowl You’ll Ever Need
This amaranth porridge is warming, comforting, and is really customizable. You can top it with whatever you have on hand- fruits, nuts, nut butter, etc. What I love about this porridge is that you can make a big batch of it and warm it up for the next three days as you run out the door in the morning.
Combined with coconut milk, dates, apples and warming spices – this is the perfect power breakfast. Enjoy!
Yields 4-6 servings
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup amaranth
- ½ cup of water
- 3 dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 apple, shredded
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 tsp cinnamon or 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cardamom pods
- Coconut Flakes
- Chia Seeds
- Peanut Butter
- Combine coconut milk, water and amaranth in a small pot, heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally so the amaranth doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Add chopped dates, apples, carrots, cinnamon and cardamom to the pot and stir to incorporate
- Divide into bowls and top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!